With roasted peppers, bacon and three types of beef, this southern homemade chili recipe will make all other chili recipes taste mundane.
Provided by @MakeItYours
Number Of Ingredients 27
- Preheat the oven to broil (500ºF) Set an oven rack at the top, directly under the broiler. Spread out the poblano peppers on a tray, and roast for 15-20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes. Place the peppers in a bowl and tightly cover with plastic wrap. Let them steam for 15 minutes and then peel off the skin. Remove the seeds and membranes and chop.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add bacon, cooking until almost crisp. Remove the bacon and reserve about 1/4 cup of bacon grease.
- Add the chopped poblanos, onions, red bell peppers and jalapeños, cooking for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Transfer the cooked veggies to a bowl and set aside.
- With the Dutch oven still on medium-high heat, add the beef chuck and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Stir in the ground beef and sausage. Break it up with a spoon and cook for 7-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the veggies as well as the bacon back in.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Add beans and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 2 hours, uncovered. Top with favorite toppings.
Top Asked Questions
How to make southern chili?This southern chili recipe is the world’s best for a reason! Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, peppers, and celery and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, just until fragrant.
What is the best chili recipe you'll ever eat?The best chili recipe you’ll ever eat is right here! Our beef chili is made with ground beef, beans, diced tomatoes, and a homemade chili seasoning. First, heat a large stockpot over medium/high heat. Then, add ground beef, yellow onion, and minced garlic and sauté for 7-10 minutes or until beef is fully browned.
How to make homemade chili seasoning?Add the chili spices to the pot of chili. I used my recipe for Homemade Chili Seasoning, plus a little brown sugar. 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar.
How do you make chili sauce with ground beef?Add in the ground beef and cook and crumble until brown. Add in the beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until it starts to thicken and flavors combine about 30 minutes.
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love